Dr Dunsky is one of the first practitioners in Massachusetts to utilize this revolutionary technology to help patients significantly reduce or eliminate pain from a variety of conditions. Hako-Med Horizontal Frequency Modulation is one of the fastest ways to eliminate pain or significantly reduce pain without drugs or injections. It is also one of the best modalities to rehabilitate peripheral nerves from causes like diabetes, chemotherapy, nerve compression / stenosis, etc.
Dr Dunsky says, "One of the biggest differences between Hako-Med from most of the other widely used electrotherapy is that the Hako-Med is able to produce a Middle Frequency. In this case, the ability to produce 4000 to 20,000 hertz. The everyday TENS unit produces up to 200 hertz. TENS units have benefit of course but are limited. Because the Hako-Med uses Middle Frequencies, which are frequencies in the thousands, these frequencies start to burn off a chemical called cAMP (cyclic adenosine monophosphate), which is a modulator for pain. If used correctly, the Hako-Med can be just as effective as steroid injections to relieve inflammation and just as effective as a lidocaine patches for relieving pain."
Hako-Med has been developed to maximize specific therapeutic mechanism of actions. (For example: to increase circulation in the extremities or to accelerate tissue regeneration). These mechanisms of actions are useful in the treatment of a variety of different indications. (Hako-Med has been shown to be very effective for conditions like: Osteoarthritis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Spinal Degeneration, etc.)
Hako-Med has set out to increase the known therapeutic effects of Electro-medicine for better treatment results. This was achieved through the combination of specific bioelectric effects and specific biochemical effects in the same treatment area at the same time (Horizontal Therapy). Before the invention of Horizontal Therapy such a combination of therapeutic mechanisms of action was impossible to achieve.
Technically this combination of bioelectric and biochemical effects is created through Horizontal Frequency Modulation of specific middle frequencies. (FM= Horizontal Therapy patent)
Click Here to skip to Research / Clinical Studies
Increase in circulation: Stimulating the autonomous nervous system and activating the vasodilatation and vasoconstriction mechanism leads to an increase in blood circulation and training effect on the blood vessel.
Pain relief: Pain reduction is achieved through multiple major mechanisms of action: Release of endorphins Counter irritation (gate control) Nerve block TEA effect. Release of many hundreds of response-action-potentials per second in the SCAN function. Regeneration.
Anti inflammatory action: The Shaking effect disburses the concentration of the inflammation-causing- mediators.
Regeneration: Regeneration occurs through stimulation of cell mitosis.
Muscle stimulation: Strengthening of muscles and elimination of atrophy can be done through conventional muscle stimulation with Horizontal Therapy.
Indications and contraindications
Indications Pain Management
- For adjunctive use in post traumatic pain syndromes
- For management and symptomatic relief of chronic (long term) pain
- As an adjunctive treatment in the management of post surgical pain problems
- Relaxation of muscle spasms
- Prevention or retardation of tissue atrophy
- Increasing blood circulation
- Muscle re-education
- Immediate post surgical stimulation of calf muscles to prevent phlebothrombosis
- Maintaining or increasing range of motion
- Stimulate peripheral nerves for the purpose of providing pain relief
- Stimulate motor nerves for the purpose of muscle rehabilitation
EMS devices should only be used under medical supervision for adjunctive treatment of medical diseases and conditions.
- Manifest thrombosis
- Cardiac demand pacemaker
- Acute danger of hemorrhage
- Disturbances in cardiac rhythm
- In tetany, caution should be exercised in dosing.
- Acute local inflammatory processes caused by bacterial or viral infection (for example: furuncle phlegmon, herpes simplex, acute herpes zoster)
- Do not stimulate over carotid sinus!
- Do not stimulate transcerebrally!
- Should not be used on cancer patients.
Dr. Hansjurgens, founder of Hako-Med in Germany, has developed many recognized milestones in Electro-Medicine. He pioneered the use of the first interferential devices over 40 years ago in the USA as VP of Nemecton. Dr. Hansjurgens invented Dynamic Interferential Therapy in 1969, which today is still found in almost every interferential machine used in the world. He pioneered the understanding of the behavior of electrical currents in living tissues and the resulting electrical field distribution in the human body. Dr. Hansjurgens manifested the use of bioelectric effects with middle frequencies, including the electrical nerve blocks. He also invented Horizontal Therapy.
Some of the many clinical trials done with Horizontal Therapy can be found at www.hakomed.net.
Research / Clinical Studies
- HORIZONTAL THERAPY: MORE THAN TRADITIONAL ELECTROTHERAPY: CRITICAL REVIEW OF THE USE OF ELECTROTHERAPY
R. SAGGINI1, R. CARNIEL2, V. COCO3, F. CANCELLI2, M. IANIERI2, D. MACCANTI1 1 Chair of Physical and Rehabilitative Medicine, University “G. D’Annunzio”, Chieti; 2 C.U.M.S. University “G. D’Annunzio”, Chieti; 3 School of Specialization in Physical and Rehabilitative Medicine, University of Catania;
- Interferential and horizontal therapies in chronic low back pain due to multiple vertebral fractures: a randomized, double blind, clinical study
A. ZAMBITO, B. BIANCHINI, D. GATTI, M. ROSSINI, S. ADAMI, O. VIAPIANA
- 2016 Summary: Clinical Trial Results NCT # 01979367 Lower Extremity Neurological Ischemia NCT #01979367
Multicenter Study R. SAGGINI1, R. CARNIEL2, V. COCO3, F. CANCELLI2, M. IANIERI2, D. MACCANTI1
- Horizontal® Therapy in the Treatment of Lower Back Pain Caused by a Recent Osteoporotic Vertebral Fracture
A. ZAMBITO1, B. BIANCHINI1, S. ADAMI1, R.G. BELLOMO2, A. SAGGINI2, R. CARNIEL2, R. SAGGINI2
1Osteoarticular Rehabilitation Division, University of Verona, Valeggio sul Mincio; 2Chair of Physical and Rehabilitative Medicine, C.U.M.S.“G. D’Annunzio University”, Chiet
Using Horizontal® Therapy R. SAGGINI, R. CARNIEL, F. CANCELLI Chair of Physical and Rehabilitative Medicine, “G. D’Annunzio” University of Chieti
- Critical Review of the use of Electrotherapy
R. CARNIEL, R. SAGGINI, Chair of Physical and Rehabilitative Medicine, “G. D’Annunzio” University of Chieti
- Evaluation of Functional Recovery and Pain Progress in Patients Subjected to Total Knee Replacement Surgery and Subsequent Electroanalgesia Cycles
G. CHIAPPANO1, G. FELICETTI1, E. BRIGNOLI1, T. SCIARRA2, M. MAINI1, A. GIUSTINI3
1Recovery and Functional Re-education Division I 2Scientific Director 3School of Specialization in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, “Tor Vergata” University of Rome, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, Work and Rehabilitation Clinic, IRCCS, Scientific Institute of Montescano (PV)
Dr Joshua E Dunsky, DC
- Clinical Director Dunsky Rehabilitation and Spine Center, PC and Boston Scoliosis
- Graduated from Life Chiropractic University Marietta Ga 1998
- Certified SpineCor Bracing Practitioner with SpineCor
- Licensed SpineCor Bracing Practitioner with Scoliosis Specialists for Adolescents and Adults
- Certified in Physiological Therapeutics - New York Chiropractic College
- Certified in the New Era in Whiplash and Spinal Trauma - Life Chiro College West
- Certified in Electrodiagnostics - University of Bridgeport Chiropractic College
- Past Licensed Affiliate Testing Center for Premier Medical Group
- Past Healthcare Consultant - Advanced Fitness Components, LLC
International Speaker & Trainer: Anti-Aging, Toxicity, Deficiency, Weight Loss and Stress (TDOS Syndrome), Telomeres: Aging & Disease, Peripheral Neuropathy, Scoliosis, GUT Health, Weight Loss, ArpwaveTherapy, Non-surgical Spinal Decompression
- Speaker: Anti-Aging Conference London, England 2013
- Speaker: Traditional Medicine Conference Amsterdam, Netherlands 2016
- Speaker: Anti-Aging Conference London, England 2017
- Speaker: Internal Medicine Conference / Breast Cancer Conference Miami 2018
- Speaker: Keynote Holistic Medicine / International Food & Nutrition Conference Vancouver, CAN 2018
- Co-Founder www.drjoshandlisa.com (2015)
- President and Founder of the New England Spinal Decompression Assoc., LLC (2006)
- President and Founder of the American Spinal Decompression Assoc., LLC (2006)
- President of The American Cancer Society, S.M. Chap. (2003-2005)
- Executive Vice President of The American Cancer Society, S.M. Chap. (2001-2003)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centers Leadership Board 2009-2011